Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What I Learned About Discipline From My Dog

That picture on the right there...that's me and my dog Javier. Javier is a 1 year old Chihuahua and he's amazing. I brought him home from the Humane Society in October when he was just under a 1 year old. He was already potty trained when I got him which made me love him anymore. When I first got Javier he was scared and calm, he stuck to my schedule without trying to fight it in any way. He did what I told him to do and I was the master. It's been 8 months and Javier has become very comfortable. For the most part I love it, he has the biggest personality I've even seen in a dog. We know exactly what he's saying because that's how precise his body language is, he has very human like qualities about him, I love it.

Recently I noticed that he has to go to the bathroom more often than normal. So when he has to go, I take him because I don't want him to go in the house. The other day I took him to that bathroom 6 times in 5 hours, seriously. Did I mention I live on the forth floor, no elevator? Javier used to be a 3 times maybe 4 times a day dog, once in the morning, once when I got home from work, and once before bed. That's it! So what changed? I did. Javier was disciplined and had a very strict schedule, he knew that if he didn't do his business the first time then he would have to wait. Now, I take him out when ever he jumps so he knows now that he can go whenever he wants to. I used to just feed him at night, now I feed him half in the morning and half at night. His routine is all jacked up.

House dogs are very routine animals and they only do what the master allows them to do. I let this animal act a fool so now he tests his boundaries and I accommodate with an attitude. Today I realized that my dog is a reflection of me, I have no routine, I have no structure, that's why at times my life can seem so chaotic  Nothing gets done because I switch things up so much, I need a routine. I need to stop giving myself so much leeway  I'm like my dog I give myself an inch and I'll take a mile. Knowing that things can get done 'whenever' makes me procrastinate. Today, Javier has been put back on schedule. Today, I need to put myself on a schedule so I can get stuff done. Dogs are smart, they understand the need for order and discipline. They might not like it, but they respect it.

1 comment:

  1. LOL sounds like my dog, well in the sense that they only do what you allow them to doo. I tell my parents when they have her to follow a strict walking schedule. If not, she'll go get the leash whenever she feels like she wants to go play. 3 times a day. 4 if she goes running with me. But dogs also adapt extremely well typically.

    @ChymereAnais

    www.chymerecalifornian.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete