Saturday, November 23, 2013

Social Media Purge


With all the recent changes taking place I've been doing a lot of self reflection. This June, I will be out of High School 10 years already! Most would say it doesn't feel like it and the years flew by, but it definitely feels like I've been out of school for quite some time. Over the past 10 years I have been an active member of Facebook, taking an occasional break here and there. I've watched/monitored/stalked former classmates, old friends, and enemies. Recently, I've become an avid user of Instagram. Posting pictures and selfies with the hopes of "likes" an admiration from my followers, uh I mean friends. While on Instagram I tend to get sucked into the black hole of "who is that and what do they do?" You know, someone you know posts a picture of someone or likes someones picture, so you go on that other persons page, then end up on a friend of that friends page and so on. Before you know it you have to hit back 5 times before you end up back where you're supposed to be.Only 2 or 3 of my actual friends use Instagram and a few use Facebook, everyone else...people I used to know or don't know at all.

My life I would say is very boring, close to extremely boring. When I post on Instagram it's usually of my dog or a selfie of me. When I actually do go out and enjoy life, I make sure to post it on the Internet so no one thinks I'm a total hermit. Even though I don’t see these people on a regular basis, I’m so worried about what they’re thinking of me and my life. Yet, I’m always in their business trying to figure out whose doing what and if I’m better than them or not. Even though we’re not in high school we’re still on a status ranking. There’s the popular kids with great jobs, the popular kids because of their looks and the unpopular kids who people talk to every once and a while. If this was 15 years ago and I was 27 back then, I wouldn't know about anybody else’s life from high school unless they were my close friends. I’m keeping up with these people to be nosey. I’m just checking on whose getting married to who, who is still single like me. Who got fat and ugly. There are a lot of people from high school that are not on these social media sites and they are living their lives without worrying about the rest of us.

I've spent too much time in other peoples business and not making enough business of my own. I’m definitely taking a purge. Starting December 1st I will take a leave from social media. I won’t get back on social media and or phone games (Candy Crush addict here) until I’m where I need to be in my life. I don’t need any distractions, whether that takes 6 months or 6 years, I'm off. I don’t need to inform people if I’m doing well or not. I don’t need people to judge if I’m cute when I go out. They don’t need to know if I’m having fun or staying in on the weekends. I need to thrive and I can’t thrive with eyes on my back, knowing that they can care less if I succeed or fail. And I can't thrive if I'm focused on what Billy and Jane ate for dinner.

Is social media stunting our growth? It’s definitely a comparison trap. You get caught up in comparing and you end up living other peoples lives instead of your own. It’s funny because I’m worried about losing followers if I take a break from Instagram! How is that possible to care about that?! Yes, Instagram could enhance your career if you’re promoting something or yourself. But most of the time, we are following people that have nothing to do with our everyday lives.Without social media, no one will be watching and I will have nothing to prove to anyone. I can just live my life the way I want without worrying if I’m good enough. I’m so ready to drop this social media circus.This day in age social media has turned into “I’m better than you at this and you’re not on my level with that”, then the others are left looking up to those who are living their life, watching with admiration and not trying to live up to their own.

I really think this purge is exactly what I need. Before the world of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, I was much more motivated and confident. When I wanted something I went after it and I didn't stop to think what Becky from the 10th grade is going to think. Before all of this I didn't take them time of out my day to get a recent update of people haven't talked to in years or those who didn't like me back in the day. Don't you hate those people? The ones who were mean to you or didn't talk to you in School but now want to follow you on every social site? Right now for me, it's all very unproductive and I'm ready to let it go. I already deactivated my Facebook and deleted my Twitter. Instagram is going to take the extra week...don't judge my addiction.

-Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment