Thursday, January 10, 2013

Channeling My Inner Carrie Bradshaw


 The first time I saw an episode of Sex and the City, I think it was my senior year of high school or maybe right after I graduated. We only had movie channels on the downstairs TV, in your family you might call it the family room, we call downstairs. My parents would watch their shows until about 9pm then they would give me and my brother the "big TV" access after they went upstairs to go to bed. One night I strolled downstairs flipped on the TV that was left on HBO and there it was on the "big TV", my future. I never even heard of SATC until that night, I fell instantly in love with Carrie Bradshaw.

 I saw a lot myself in her; or at the age of 17 I should say, I saw who I wanted to become. I know she is a fictional character but something about her spoke to me. I felt like she was calling me through the screen; Laneé, one day you will have this life, you will be 40 years old with no husband or kids. Wait what? Everything about Carrie was me. I dressed different from the other kids at my school. I didn't have great style like Ms. Bradshaw at the time so I don't think people were trying to follow my fashion trends like they follow hers, but I stood out from the crowd. The fabulous NY lifestyle she was living, that's what I wanted so badly. I wanted to have a fabulous circle of close knit girlfriends who met up every Saturday for breakfast, dressed fabulously, go on dates with amazing men every weekend. Oh the life! And, I wanted to write, at this time I wasn't so sure but there was a definite calling after the first episode I watched. I didn't answer the call, I kept pressing the ignore button...until now. 

While I was on Christmas vacation a Sex in the City marathon was on and I watched, of course. I was sitting in the same spot on the (new) couch as I was the first time I laid eyes on this fabulous show. I thought to myself: hmph that was supposed to be my life! *arms folded pouting at the screen* My life was supposed to be fabulous, with fabulous friends, fabulous careers and fabulous date nights and breakfasts with the girls to talk about the dates with the fabulous men. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous!!! That's what I want and I want it now!! 

Okay you want it Laneé so what are you going to do about it?
 I'm going to start living it and eventually my life will manifest into what I want/create.
Correct.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I love Carrie Bradshaw. I also see myself in her...the whole writing thing...and moving to a city I absolutely adore (which in my case will be L.A.) The only thing I did not envy was the dating escapades. I've never really been into casual dating with multiple men and although I don't think about it much, I know that one day I'd like to be married with kids.

    -Chymere Anais

    ReplyDelete